Select Page

Mechanic’s Lien Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I am a contractor and the owner still owes me.  Do I send the intent to lien to the business owner or property owner?

A: Notice must go to the property owner(s) and the contractor that hired you.  Notice may also need to be sent to the tenant and other parties.  Colorado law has strict requirements governing who must receive notice.  Failure to provide the proper notice can result in losing your lien rights – or even owing another party attorney fees and costs. You should consult with an attorney if you are unsure.

  1. Where do I go to file the lien?

A:  After you have provided the necessary notice, you must file your lien with the clerk and recorder in the county where the property is located.  You can often do this by mail. There are also electronic filing services available.

Have a general question about mechanic’s liens in Colorado? Submit it for the FAQ page or contact Casey Quillen.